St. John's Historic Sites & Interpretive Centres
• A WorldWeb.com Travel Guide to Historic Sites & Interpretive Centres in St. John's, Atlantic Canada.
This fine white Irish limestone building, constructed in 1850, was the Legislature Building for the Newfoundland Government until 1960. It now houses the Provincial Archives
The only historic wine vaults in Newfoundland, this site is operated by the Newfoundland Historic Trust and is open to the public from mid-June to the end of September. The designated Provincial Historic Site was built circa 1800 and was used to mature wine prior to export to Europe and beyond.
Site of the first wireless transatlantic signal in 1901, Signal Hill was also the primary harbor defense point for the city of St. John's. The landmark, which includes Cabot Tower, offers spectacular views of St. John's Harbor, extensive hiking trails and an on-site gift shop.
Government House, located on Military Road is the private home of Newfoundland's lieutenant-governor. The 20-acre site was chosen by Sir Thomas Cochrane, the governor in office from 1825 to 1834, and the exterior is composed of red sandstone, quarried from Signal Hill. Open year-round.
Overlooking historic St. John's, the twelve story east block of this building houses the provincial legislature. The six story west block was opened in 1985. Both the building and a small military museum contained within are free. The building is, however, closed on weekends. Home to the provincial government, the twelve story east block
Restored to its original 1830s splendour, Commissariat House on King's Bridge Road, near Gower Street, is a late-Georgian mansion used by the British military. Now operating as a tearoom, the house is open daily throughout the summer months and contains many period furnishings of the era
Hiscock House Provincial Historic Site
Restored to the 1910 period the Hiscock House represents a local merchant's household in rural Newfoundland. Guides in period costumes.
Built in the late 18th or early 19th century, this cottage is a Registered Heritage Structure once occupied by the Mallard family. Located in walking distance to the Fairmount Hotel.
Quidi Vidi Battery Provincial Historic Site
This battery was originally built by the French in 1792 amidst their capture of St. John's, and then taken over by the British who rebuilt it. Guides dressed in period costumes now provide tours of the site, which has had its 1812 look restored. The battery also overlooks Quidi Vidi village, a small fishing village offering little shops and North America's oldest cottage. Quidi Vidi Lake, home to the Royal St. John's Regatta is nearby.